Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gearing up to say "Goodbye"...

Ruffie.
My shadow.
My little hero.

I've been in denial about the fact that my little mix-breed mutt is nearing the end of his days. He will be 15 years old in a few months. What is that in dog years? A billion?

Ruffian found me (or did I find him?) when he was a mere 6 weeks old and I was a broke college student. Broke or not, I scrounged up the $35 to make him mine. He stuck with me through college, multiple roommates and moves, broken relationships, growing up, marriage, an addition of an annoying puppy to follow him around, dark days of infertility and loss, becoming second place when babies finally entered the picture, and everything in between. Me becoming a mom probably rocked Ruffian's little world, as I've simply not had much time or patience to lend to my constant shadow. My parents have often commented that this dog has saved them thousands of dollars in therapy bills for me as I battled through the rough waters of early adulthood. He's been dubbed "The Hero". They are right.

Age has taken its toll though. I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that my friend's quality of life is declining. Unfortunately during the last year, that decline has sped up and manifested itself greatly. He's basically falling apart.

Ruffie, about 7 years ago...(around age 7 yrs)
...and today...at 15 years old.
Saying "goodbye" sucks. I'm not ready to do it and I will probably wait for awhile, but I can tell my dog is pretty ready. I need to get there too for his sake. In the years that will follow my goodbye, I know that I will miss the ticking of his toenails as he pads after my every move through the house. I'll miss knowing he's sleeping less than a foot from me, right beside my bed. I may even miss the horrid stink that follows him around (he really is the smelliest dog ever).

How does this relate to crafting, you ask? Well, I'm not the only one getting re-purposed shirts around here to wear! In an effort to keep my old dog warmer (in addition top of his heated bed warmer, that is!), and also to keep him from biting at his hot spots, I discovered an infant's 18 month sized long sleeve T-shirt works perfectly! The bulky dog sweaters we have don't cover his front legs, which he has taken to licking until his ankles are nearly bald. A toddler's T with elastic sewn in a casing around the bottom hem, and wha-la! A new fashion statement and the easiest craft ever.
Oh Ruff, I wish you could live forever...

2 comments:

  1. The tears are rolling down my face. I'm not ready for him to go, either. We owe Ruffie a debt of gratitude we can never pay. And he will ALWAYS be our hero.

    If you are taking some time to get your head around the idea, I'd love it if we could come up and say good-bye. If you think he'll manage two more weeks, we could come for a couple of days? I'm sure Easter is too far away. Or if you'd rather not have anyone around, that's okay. I guess it would just help to have a little "closure" for a boy who's earned our gratitude and our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How weird...you must have signed in on my laptop and I didn't notice...so I posted my comment at you, it seems.

    ReplyDelete